OpenRefine is a web application, but is designed to be run locally on your own machine. The server-side maintains states of the data (undo/redo history, long-running processes, etc.) while the client-side maintains states of the user interface (facets and their selections, view pagination, etc.). The client-side makes GET and POST ajax calls to cause changes to the data and to fetch data and data-related states from the server-side.
- Technology Stack: What languages, libraries and frameworks are used in the OpenRefine application
- Server Side: how the data is modeled, stored, changed, etc.
- Client Side: how the UI is built
- Importing: how OpenRefine supports the import of data to create projects
- Faceted Browsing: how faceted browsing is implemented (this straddles the client and the server)